Friday, August 29, 2014

Copenhagen, Day 3


This was my last full day in Copenhagen, but my first whole day with my bicycle. I was able to really get around the city today and was able to give my calves a break from all the walking.

I revisited some places on the walking tour like Nyhavn and the stock exchange building. I was able to ride along the waterfront too.


I found this trampoline built into the harbor area too. Well, maybe I didn't give my calves a break.


Today, I was still preoccupied with trying to get an adaptor for my laptop cable. Most stores are only open from 10:00 to 6:00 and closed on Sundays. I bought an adaptor and then discovered after 6:00 that it didn't have the hole for the grounding prong. I'm not sure if I want to stick around until 10 tomorrow to be able to ask if they do have the adaptor. I'm typing this from my cell without a problem, I hope.

Four things that I wanted to do were a accomplished today. First, I actually ate the Danish dish smørrebrød that translate into butter bread.


I was only going to get the fish filet, but he recommended the other two. I don't know, maybe it could be better? There were some sauces on each, but it all seemed very bland. The guy only charged me 30 krones for this and bottled water, which was cheap. I pay 20 krones for a croissant from 7-11.

Things are pretty expensive here foodwise. There is nothing that is $2 exactly except I saw cheeseburgers at McDonald's for this amount (10 krones).

The highlight of today was seeing Cykelslangen, which is this new bike bridge that spans curvaceously over the  water. I rode it 3 times in the rain.


I also found the bike counter and was counted on H. C. Andersen Street. (I learned that he's referred to by his initials here that sound like ho-say. It's almost as if he sounds Spanish: José Andersen.)


Also, I called some campgrounds and successfully asked if they spoke English. I am trying my best to be polite and learn some basic phrases.

It was just so nice to ride today. The paths stretch for miles along busy roadways. I got happily l lost a few times.

A few of the best cycle moments from today:


The lady that matched this structure.


Danes congregated under a bridge chatting and waiting for a pause in the rain.


Determined, wet bike commuters forcing their way home.


And this couple who let me take their picture. She was from the U.K. and he was from Denmark, I believe. It was my goal to get at least one picture of an adult riding in a Christiana bike. 

Thumbs up back atcha, guy.

Also, Danes keep trying to trick me into eating black licorice. This was their latest attempt. Thanks but no thanks. Did I tell you how I almost ordered black licorice flavored ice cream, but I was saved by a sample. Thank goodness.






No comments:

Post a Comment