Thursday, August 28, 2014

Day 2 in København



I'm going to try hard to write something everyday. It may be a little more difficult as I leave for Rødvig and Stege on Saturday. This was day 2 and I was less of a zombie while I was out and about. I think I'm just going to do some observations of what I've notice so far.

I can just sit and observe bicycles in motion constantly. It's amazing to see all the throngs of cyclists flowing through intersections--and the Danes are so used to it. It's clear that using their bike is a way from point A to point B. Many pedal fast and are clearly just trying to make it to their destination. Their bike choices explain this to to me. Most are riding commuters in muted colors like black or dark green with a back rack or a basket in the front. It's very much about utility. I see lots of bikes like these.



I am quietly charmed by their ways and their bicycles. I spotted this little commuter in training on my morning walk today. It makes sense to get your kids used to carrying their own stuff.



The day before I saw these ladies commuting home with their children in Christiana bikes.



I saw the mail man dressed in Danish flag colors outside the grocery store delivering mail by bicycle. (I told him I would like to take his picture, and he grinned that grin.)



Also, there was this dapper bicycling gent on Strøget today.



I could be an observer here for weeks. Maybe I've been looking at the wrong times, but I do miss some of the fun colors and styles of my bike friends at home. We just seem to have so much fun riding together, where it seems like a chore sometimes here. Cyclists get visibly frustrated if a pedestrian steps in the lane or if there's some other type of slowdown that could have been prevented in some way.

Today, the cykler shop finished putting my bike parts together into a bicycle, and it worked beautifully. Peter and his apprentice helped me out and answered questions from finding out my new Danish telephone number to explaining the unique locks I see everywhere in Copenhagen.



A great deal of the bicycles here are locked with these. They are attached to the frame at all times and are used to lock the wheel to the frame really quickly. Most people just do this to a freestanding bicycle without locking their bike down to a bike rack. I found out that this was a lock "approved" by insurance companies that residents use to insure their bicycles. If their bikes are stolen, they can get a new one if they have made the proper steps to protect it as prescribed by their insurance company. I guess a lot of bikes are stolen here. I'm not sure if it's any worse than Cleveland. Almost everyone has experienced theft at home.

I went on a walking tour of the city and started to learn more about Denmark and the history of all the kings with the names of either Frederick or Christian. Queen Margaret is "in power" now. I had a brief overview of Denmark and World War II and how they had a cooperation with Nazi Germany that after a few years turned into an occupation. I also learned that this city isn't as old as it appears because they have had many, many great fires that have devastated the city. Here is a view of the oldest street.



The highlight of the day was definitely getting to ride my bicycle at last with people in the city. It made me feel so special to have my own special bicycle light at intersections sometimes.



I'm looking forward to spending the day on my bicycle tomorrow and checking out some of the bicycle highways.



There are other things here I'd like to mention like black licorice flavored ice cream (they seem to love that flavor), how it's legal to drink beer on the street, and how friendly Danish people speak to me in Danish. I'm flattered that it's not obvious that I'm American. I think it's entertaining how the Danish dig at the Swedish and vice versa with Swedish jokes instead of blonde jokes. A lot of feelings would be hurt if blonde jokes were a thing here. Danes are nicer than that, well, except to Swedes, and if you get in their way when they're bicycling.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen any mini-bikes like this in Denmark yet? http://i.imgur.com/4VGoXHB.gif

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not yet. Actually wish they had more fun with their bikes--we're more stylish.

    ReplyDelete