Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Cykling i København



When I reached Chicago, I sincerely felt like I could keep going. My trip by bicycle from Cleveland to Chicago felt too short. On that trip, I had met some people who had experience riding bikes in Europe. Maybe, maybe, maybe. I hadn't signed a contract at the school district where I teach. The thought crossed my mind that I could ride to Minneapolis, but I just felt ready for something different. I had this new confidence in my ability to camp and ride after doing this for three consecutive days in Ohio and Indiana.

I decided recently to do the Berlin-Copenhagen Bikeway from Copenhagen to Berlin, and will continue to bike south through Dresden and onto Prague with some guidance from EuroVelo routes. I may keep cycling even farther south to Trieste, Italy on the Adriatic. I'm excited to see the city that is ranks as the happiest city in the world and where 41% of its residents use bikes to commute to work or school. Coincidence?

I type these words, but I am really unaware of their full noisy, smelly, and visual senses from here in my living room in Cleveland. I'm going to see a fjord, the Berlin Wall, ruins from the Stone Age, and a lot of bikes.

In the meantime, I'm trying to get myself together with a small list: an RFID passport wallet, a bike bag for my bike, ultralight camping gear, cards for any new friends I meet along the way, figuring out how I can be reachable to family and friends back in Ohio, learning all about European SIM cards for my phone, and figuring out where I can stay in the early leg of my trip. I like to plan, but I realize how futile planning can be sometimes too.

No comments:

Post a Comment