Sunday, September 14, 2014

Jüterbog to Mühlberg


Simone dropped me off at a place where there were signs that would lead me to the Elbe Radweg. I had not even heard of this bike path until Marcel and Simone explained it to me.

I quickly reached Wittenberg. I never dreamed that I would ever be in the city where the Reformation began--and here I was just passing through via the Elba Radweg.


The church was basically wrapped in plastic for renovations to restore it before the 500th anniversary of the event in 2017. But the door was left uncovered where he supposedly nailed his 95 theses.


A lot of the day after Wittenberg just was along the Elbe River.

Here is the lunch that sweet Simone packed me in the morning. She insisted I take this like any good German mother would.


It was a quiet day mostly. I love when I see Soviet monuments still standing in eastern Germany.




I rode as far as I thought I could and starting looking for a campground. It was difficult, but I was able to communicate with an old man who flagged me down before I even reached him. He told me how far away camping was in 2 directions. It was very broken language, but it worked. I found out that there was camping 4 kilometers away. I always have to remember to say kilometer kee-low-mee-er lest they don't understand me.

I reached Mühlberg and found a very small campground that was locked. I called the number on the sign, and a young man answered who spoke English decently. He ran over, unlocked everything, and zipped out in an utterly efficient but friendly way.


He said he'd be back to wash some dishes that were left over from a catered event at the campround that were left in the kitchen. I enjoyed getting to use the kitchen to charge my technology while making some noodles with some vegetables added in from their garden. As I was finishing in the kitchen, Chris came back, and I helped him with the dishes. It was the first time in what seemed like days that anyone could understand the words coming out of my mouth. I just rambled to him while scrubbing these huge catering dishes.

I actually slept soundly in my tent. It was quiet there and I was able to wake up early to get to Dresden the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment