Monday, September 1, 2014

Rødvig to Nykøbing Falster


This is my last full day in Denmark if all goes well. Goodbye, krones. Hello, euros. I was more focused on getting from A to B today. 

I had an impromptu Danish lesson with a man from Odense. We practiced Jeg vil gerne ... I would like. In Danish, they use 'hi' and 'hello' and "good day" and they sound really similar. It's not always a good initial accessor of what language a person speaks. I ask people, " Taler du engelsk?" it tells me so much about how to approach the situation. I kind of enjoy when we both have to rely on the shared knowledge of baby words from each other's languages and wild gestures. I always enjoy when I can almost have an entire transaction in another language. Today, I used what little I knew in Danish to help clarify to situations. 

Everyday I have to ask someone if they speak Danish, and then I call my Danish cell company that has a recording of how many krones are left on my SIMS card. It's another entertaining game I play. I have a One Mobile or Telenor DK card. So far, I don't seem to be using too much of it by posting photos, using Google Maps, and chatting with people. It has been a relief that for $30 I have had a solution to stay connected. 

German is a little more familiar, but only by a few words compared to Danish now. I'm looking forward to trying.

My next challenge is to find a place to stay in Germany tomorrow night. It's 23 kilometers to Gedser, Denmark where I can catch the ferry to Rostock, Germany.

Most of my trip has took place so far on Denmark Cycle Route 9. This is Eurovelo 7. There is no mention of Eurovelo route anywhere, but the route is generally well-marked with signs like this.


I was able to turn off my phone for long stretches to conserve power. It was nice.

Of the notable things of today, these things happened:

I saw my first fjord today.
I saw my first fjord and found fjord parkering. (Look, you can understand Danish.)

I cycled through Præsto. So many towns have a similar look.

I crossed Storstrømmen and thus crossed over to another island of Denmark called Falster. This bridge was, I think, nearly 4 kilometers long.

I also found something not so majestic in Denmark too. Ha.

It wasn't me, I "din fart" even though you clocked me at 60.

Everyone is doing Labor Day tomorrow--it will be strange to be here, even though it's no major holiday it's one of those memorable ones where we lament the passing of summer. It definitely feels like fall here, and they have the apples to prove it.




No comments:

Post a Comment